- 1 cup of finely chopped dried dates, sultanas and apricots
- 1 cup of finely chopped fresh sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, linseeds and sesame seeds
- ½ cup finely chopped, fresh, unsalted, unroasted almonds
- ½ cup fresh coconut chips
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 cinnamon quills
- 1-2tbs honey or maple syrup
- Shredded coconut to coat the balls at the end
- Place the chopped dried fruit in a saucepan, cover with water, and add in 1-2 cinnamon quills and bring to the boil.
- Simmer until soft and plump (about 15mins).
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Once the dried fruit syrup has cooled add the vanilla extract.
- Add the nuts and seeds to the dried fruit syrup and with a wiz or in a mix master combine it thoroughly until it is a smooth pulp.
- Add the rolled oats and maple syrup / honey.
- Mix it all together with your hands.
- Add more water if the mix is too dry or a little more oats if too wet.
- Roll into little individual bite-sized balls.
- Coat with freshly shredded coconut.
The bliss balls will keep well in the fridge for about 5-7 days and the freezer for a couple of weeks.
Other ingredients that work well in this mix include:
- Grated lemon rind added to the dried fruit syrup
- Walnuts, brazil nuts, hazel nuts
- Dried figs, dried cranberries and other dried fruits
- Quality raw cocoa