Moist bran muffins
- 90g wheat bran
- 50ml plain yogurt
- 200ml soy, almond or rice milk
- 400g tinned prunes - drained, stoned and pureed
- 2tbs vegetable oil, plus extra to rub over muffin tin
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100g sugar or stevia as a healthy sugar substitute
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 125g spelt plain flour
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 25g walnuts, chopped
- 25g raisins
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Mix together the milk and yogurt, add the wheat bran and leave to soak.
- In a separate bowl add the prunes, oil, eggs, sugar and vanilla essence and whisk until combined.
- Add the bran mixture and stir well.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into the bowl. Add the nuts, bicarbonate and baking powder. Stir until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into an oiled muffin tin and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- When muffins are golden brown remove them from the oven and cool slightly.
Keep in an air-tight container for a couple of days, or pop them in the freezer to keep them for longer.